I LOVE being out in nature but getting eaten alive by mosquitoes is not fun, especially when you are trying to relax or eat a meal.The hubby and I have tried the butane thermacell mosquitos repellent devices and they work well; however, the sometimes the igniter doesn’t work and I feel like they don’t last a long time. To add to it, sometimes when we go into the woods to our little cabin, for 5 days or more and we don’t have access to a general store unless we drive about 45mins in one direction. So….we really have to ask ourselves IF whatever we need is really worth it.We were very interested in trying the Radius as the cartridges last up to 12hrs and it is USB rechargeable 😀 SO I can recharge this thing with my foldable solar panel.So after trying it for the weekend, here are my thoughts:PROS
- Cartridges last up to 12hrs
- No smell
- Covers a 110sq. ft radius area (per Thermacell) – we figured roughly the picnic table area would be covered so we could eat in peace.
- USB rechargeable (battery, solar, etc.)
- Easy to start = hit button to turn ON
- On button is lockable if putting in backpack
- IT WORKS REALLY WELL!! I did A bite but….not bad for not using the spray.
- The cartridges are $7.95 each
- The Radius costs about $50
Thermacell recommends placing the Radius in the location you will be, about 15mins prior to hanging out in that location. I did this and it really helped pre-ward off mosquitos. I would recommend doing this. Once you see a little mist coming out the top of the device, you know the repellent is warmed up and working for you. Although the cost of the Radius is MUCH more than our butane devices (it is about 2x the cost)…..I do find it easier to use as I am not messing around with checking if the igniter is actually working on them. I hit the button and it warms the repellent.It is my favorite……yet it is pricey so if you need multiple devices, it may be too costly honestly..