The Helio Shower retails for about $99 at REI and my husband and I were able to pick one up at a REI garage sale for about $13. SCORE!
For $13, I was was willing to take the gamble on whether this shower worked or not as all sales are final at these garage sales. Anyhow, here is my review on the shower based on the item we got at the sale:
- Holds a lot of water
- Foot pump is nice for continuous water pressure
- Can place the shower anywhere = no gravity feed
- Water pressure is not great (could be just our item as it was a return)
- Not able to use hot water in this shower BUT I you could put warm water in it and it would be OK.
- I feel like I am going to rip the handle on the shower after it is full
With that all being said, we have a cheap $15 or $20 solar camp shower (gravity fed) purchased off of amazon and it works great!! Unless you REALLY need a shower that is not gravity fed, the Helio is compact and lightweight but….I think a modified weed sprayer bottle would be cheaper.
I have used the Helio at night in our little off-grid cabin to take a facecloth/sponge bath to clean up before bed when it is too cold outside to use my gravity fed solar shower and so far it has worked better than I anticipated. Turns out, i needed to close one of the valves on the foot pumo to get better pressure inside and love that when we leave the cabin, I can collapse the shower a d put it away or bring it outside for an outdoor sink to wash dishes. I still feel like the handle is flimsy (BUT it has not broke yet with 3 gallons of water in it…).