Because it’s Eeeeeeeeeasy! Our house is around 1,000 sq. ft. (3 bedrooms, 2 bath). When I tell people that our house is around 1,000 sq ft which is smaller some of friend’s apartments, they would be astonished that the floor plan could even have a third bedroom. But it works. And yes , there are times like ANYONE you wish there was just little more space here and there but in the end, living on the smaller side of life has taught me so much about what I want out of life and how much easier it is to get it than what the American dream dictates.
Here are some of the things I love about living small:
- Our house is easy to clean!!
- It doesn’t cost that much to furnish
- Heck, it doesn’t cost a lot to OWN my invest of property
- I save money on mortgage, utilities, other expenses for a home, etc.
- My house is very organized
- I read somewhere the motto of “Don’t put it down, put it away.” And this alone has helped me stay more organized; even when I’m tired and just want to put it down, LOL 🙂
- I really keep mainly what I need but I do have some fun stuff for hobbies/crafts and camping gear in a shed
- I have more space due to so much downsizing
- Whatever I need is at my fingertips
- Searching the house for something lost is short and sweet
- It doesn’t take much to spruce it up
- Renovations are MUCH cheaper with a larger impact
The best thing that was ever said to me by a dear friend who has great style, no matter where she lived:
“You can have a lot of great things, but it does mean you have all your great things all out at once.”
And living in a smaller home has taught me this precise statement. With a larger space, we tend to fill it just like when we get a larger income, we tend to spend more; even when we don’t mean to. I don’t save China for special occasions = I use what I have every day and if I haven’t used it in 6 months to MAYBE 1 year, I consider donating it. Passing it onto to someone else that may have more joy with it than what I do.
What do you do, to live with less in order to have more enjoyment out of life? Would ❤ to hear from you 🙂